Considering making my own Star Trek series

Chat about other independent productions and fan series.

Considering making my own Star Trek series

Postby Daniel Brongers » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:12 pm

Hello everyone,

As you all may be aware, I have been involved with a Star Trek series called Dark Armada for quite some time now. Since I feel there are more stories that can be told, I am considering making my own series. I was thinking calling my series Star Trek: Valkyrie, but I was told that that title was already taken. After a small consideration, I have decided to call it Star Trek: Guardian instead.

SETTING
Star Trek: Guardian is set in the late 24th century (2382 onward) and will take place in the HF continuity (Hidden Frontier, Intrepid, Odyssey etc), meaning that the show will have references and or special appearances (of either characters or ships) from other shows from time to time. Keep in mind, however, that while there are references from other show's events, it doesn't mean Star Trek: Guardian won't be a show of its own. That means that there won't be a reference to a specific event (as featured in HF, Intrepid, etc) each time an episode is aired. That being said; references like the Tholian War and the Archein Incursion are indeed present, and other specific event may be referenced as well.

STORY
The show begins shortly after the Breen/Tholian attack on DS12. The pilot episode will be called 'Maiden Voyage', which Captain James Ratner and his crew are ordered to investigate the disappearance of a colony on a distant planet. I am planning to make at least 3 episodes per season (I consider a season as equel as one year). I have also plans for other episodes for this show, so keep an eye out.

USS Guardian
The USS Guardian is an Intrepid Class refit vessel (also known as Intrepid II Class), which was built at the Ba'ku Regeneration Shipyards at Deep Space 12. While the design are technically the same as the original Intrepid Class, this vessel has a third warp nacelle between the other two nacelles at the back of the ship. It also features a phaser main canon (similar to that of the Galaxy III Class) on the ship's saucer section. Commanded by the recently promoted Captain James Ratner and launched in 2382, this ship is the first - and currently only - ship of this class.

Music
The main theme of the show as well as the end theme will be provided by my close friend and composer Justin R. Durban.

So what do you think? Should I go forward with this? Or do you guys think this is a (very) bad idea? Just let me know :)

Re: Considering making my own Star Trek series

Postby barbreader » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:52 am

Since you were involved with Star Trek: Dark Armada you have some idea of how much work you are thinking about.

I have a few questions:
1) Do you have others who you are working with?
2) Where are you on Planet Earth? Are you part of a Star Trek group or film group that could support your efforts?
3) Are you thinking about sets, green screens, a combination, or what?
4) What types of camera and mike equipment are available to you?
5) Do you have the time and the financial resources to carry through on this to completion? Many a film is started which never is completed.

Postby Daniel Brongers » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:07 pm

Hi,

Here are your answers:

1) Since I ran into this idea only a week ago, I have no other people who I am working at this time
2) I am from Holland (along with the Dark Armada cast and crew). I am not part of a particular group. However, I did ask my (former) teammates at DA to support my efforts, unfortunately to no avail. However, I may still be able to do it via my own company, Brongers Entertainment.
3) It is most likely a combination of both, though I won't rule out that most shooting will be made via green screen. It is also possible that most shoots shall be made in my own house (like Nick and Lucie Cook do with Intrepid).
4) I have currently no equipment at the moment, but I will buy them with time....
5) I do have the time to make these episodes (especially during weekends), however the financial resources may be a little letdown, which could take some time. That being said, I am already working on my first script for my show and I am planning to complete it, since it would be a waste of time and my energy to just abandon it.

Well, I hope that answers your questions, Barbreader. Just let me know if you want to know more.

Regards,

Daniel

Site Admin

Postby capthunter » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:57 pm

Make the show you want to see. :)

That said, I hate that whole third nacelle, big gun thing. It just screams cheesy to me. YMMV. Either way good luck, making your own show is a fun (if sometimes frustrating) experience.

Postby Daniel Brongers » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:17 pm

Thank you so much for your blessing, Nick. It is much appreciated. I do hope that you like the idea of both our shows (as well as others) are connected to one another. And who knows, maybe we can even make a crossover episode (like the one you did with Hidden Frontier) in the near future, though I don't want to keep ahead of myself. However, if you like the idea, just let me know :)

As for the ship; I actually got that idea from another show I saw just recently called Dark Frontier (which is set in the mirror universe), where I saw that same type of ship. I thought it looked pretty good, actually. True, it doesn't look as good the USS Excelsior (the Galaxy III class) but I think it is still quite impressive. I have added an attachment of the ship that was used for Dark Frontier to give you the idea on what kind of ship I want to use for my show. Keep in mind however, that since my show takes place in the main continuity, the ship should look exactly like the Intrepid (or Voyager), but with the third nacelle and main canon attached....

Again, thank you so much for your support!
Attachments
Dark Frontier_Intrepid_starship-Refit.jpg
Dark Frontier_Intrepid_starship-Refit.jpg (152.4 KiB) Viewed 8544 times

Postby Daniel Brongers » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:03 pm

I have decided to use the Akira class ship as the main setting for my show, Star Trek: Guardian. The Akira has been making appearances in films, series and fan productions, but it was never made a series/film around them. This gives me a great opportunity to use this class ship instead of the Intrepid Refit.

What do you guys think?

Daniel
Attachments
Akira Class.jpg
Akira Class.jpg (104.01 KiB) Viewed 8150 times

Site Admin

Postby capthunter » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:41 am

Sure, sounds like a good choice to me. :)

Postby Daniel Brongers » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:21 pm

Glad you like the idea, Nick :D

A small update: I am very happy to announce that Tobias Richter, a highly talented VFX and CGI modeler and animator, is joining the crew. He is currently working on the Guardian as we speak. :D

I am also happy to announce that my show is varying pretty smoothly and casting is very well underway. Still, a number of things need to get done (costumes, props, remaining cast), before we can go into production. I hope to start shooting sometime next year...

Site Admin

Postby capthunter » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:15 pm

Best of luck!

Postby Daniel Brongers » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:24 am

A quick update:

Tobias Richter will provide the CGI effects, Cory Mahler will present the sound effects and Justin Durban wil compose the score.

As for actors, I have approached several people, who were interested in joining the cast:

Dick Verbeek as Lieutenant Bryan Young
Hetty Helbig as Doctor Lucy Anderson
Tamar Bannink as Marissa Zadi (not confirmed yet)
Frans Kailola as Admiral Roth

I will be playing Captain James Ratner, commanding officer of the USS Guardian.

Just need a few more things before we can go production (a few more actors, green screen and camera for example), but everything is going well so far...

Return to Indie Productions